Shin Black Cup Noodle



I found the cup version of Shin Black, which is the less spicy, more flavorful cousin to Nongshim's Shin Ramyun.  I was excited to try it because I've enjoyed the original Shin Ramyun so much.


Shin Black's extra savory flavor comes from an additional broth packet.

Two packets is more flavor than one packet.


The additional packet is labeled "SUL-LONG-TANG" (설렁탕 - Seolleongtang), which refers to a traditional Korean broth made from slow-simmered ox bones.  The ingredient list on the package tells me Shin Black's answer to this is "beef bone extract".


Shin Black also appears to have more quantity and variety of dehydrated vegetables compared to the regular version.  I can clearly identify two kinds of mushrooms, scallions and little rings of sliced red chilies.

Spicy soup powder on the left, bone broth powder on the right.

When cooked, the broth smells absolutely delicious.  The flavor is less spicy, but deeper, richer and more complex than regular Shin Ramyun.  I was raised in America, so my palate is not finely tuned in detecting umami, but I'd be willing to wager this broth is umami as fuck.



Do I prefer Shin Black over the original flavor of Shin Ramyun?  No, not really.  Mind you, this is a really delicious instant soup.  But personally, I'm more fond of the spicier broth of Shin Ramyun and if given the choice, I'll reach for that.  But I'd still recommend Shin Black if you're in the mood for a deep, meaty, complex instant noodle experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment