Maruchan Instant Lunch - Hot & Spicy Beef Flavor

Undeterred by my decidedly unspicy experience with Maruchan's Sriracha Chicken Flavor Ramen, I grabbed another one of their products that claimed to be hot and spicy: Maruchan Instant Lunch - Hot & Spicy Beef Flavor.


I associate these cup-style ramen delivery systems more with grade school than with poor college students.  I was always immediately jealous if some kid at school had one in their lunch.  The noodles always seem lower quality than what's in regular ramen packets, a perception that's probably enhanced by the fact that they never quite hydrate properly even if you follow the directions perfectly.  But they come in their own little Styrofoam cup and have little vegetables in them, so from a kid's point of view, they seem vastly fancier.

The words "Hot" and "Spicy" appear on the packaging many times.  It's like they're trying to tell us something...

Mmmm...powdery...

Yep, this is both instant and lunch.

Noodles enlarged to show noodleyness.
The flavor and quality is exactly what you'd expect from an instant noodle in a cup.  But I was actually pleasantly surprised by the level of heat in these noodles.  To my taste, they're by no means "hot", but the heat level definitely reads as intentional.  Where the Sriracha ramen from the same brand had no noticeable heat, this flavor definitely has a mild, enjoyable edge of spicy to it.

Would I recommend it?  Well, that depends.  If you can get your hands on some Shin Ramyun instead, I'd say do that without hesitation.  But if you're shopping for Maruchan Instant Lunch anyway and the Hot & Spicy Beef flavor is available, I say grab it.

No comments:

Post a Comment