Budget Heat - Mexico Lindo Salsa Habañero Roja

Due to the taxing rigors of modern life, I often find myself flat broke.  But despite my empty wallet, I still crave delicious, delicious heat.  Some of the best, most delicious hot sauces have price tags that are not always justifiable when it comes to making a choice between doing laundry that week or feeling my mouth burn after I eat some mac and cheese.  So I'm always on the lookout for hot sauces that combine good flavor and decent heat for not much money.

I picked up a bottle of Mexico Lindo Salsa Habañero Roja at a local El Super* for just over a dollar.  It comes in a little plastic squeeze bottle and claims high heat.

 And it turns out it has a very good heat-to-cost ratio.  For a dollar, it really delivers on the heat. 

Its flavor is definitely heavy on the vinegar tang, but not in a musty barrel-aged Tabasco way.  It basically tastes like the standard green hot sauce flavor that you'd squirt on a taco, but with a really respectable habañero heat level.  Sort of like a much hotter version of El Pato's Jalapeño hot sauce, but maybe not quite as tasty.  Similar, though.

And use it on tacos I have.  I've also used it happily in soups, on eggs, on pizza, on pastas and in burritos.  Basically anywhere you like a green taco sauce-style sauce, but want some to turn up the excellent spicy heat.

My bottle of this sauce is almost completely empty.  Will buy again.  A definite no-brainer for the price.

*El Super is a chain of grocery stores in the Southwestern U.S. for those in other parts of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment